Happy New Year, everyone! It’s been a while since I posted anything, so I thought I would start 2017 off right with a blog update. *cue list of writing resolutions* That’s right, folks. It’s time to share my writing plans for the year. They are fairly simple, but I’ve found that it’s better to shoot for more reasonable goals to prevent the crash and burn of overextending myself (pearl of wisdom for my fellow writers who are just starting out). So here are my writing resolutions/goals for the year:
1. Create and keep to a realistic writing schedule. For me, that’s 30 minutes to an hour each day, five days a week…not as much time as I would like, but any writing time is better than none.
2. Finish at least three picture book manuscripts. I have one fully drafted and two partially drafted manuscripts at the moment. Fingers crossed for some SERIOUS drafting and revising magic over the next couple of months!
3. FIND AN AGENT! Self-explanatory and squee-inducing!
4. Post monthly blog updates. I would love to blog more frequently, and I will if I get the chance, but having an incredibly busy schedule (and fibromyalgia) means I have to focus on manuscripts when I get the time to write. Rest assured, there will be much writerly wisdom to share about the drafting, editing, revising, and querying processes when I do blog, though.
5. Read 12 novels. Good writers read. A LOT. It makes us better writers when we’re exposed to others’ work, and it’s relaxing to boot. Win-win.
Now that I’ve shared my writing resolutions for the year, I’m off to ponder and plot. I hope reading about my goals has inspired you to set some of your own. Time to break out the laptops and notebooks and ring in the new year write!